Sandy Hotz is an active FEI judge, clinician, trainer and coach.
She has ridden and taught dressage for over 35 years, and has judged for over 25 years.
She routinely judges CDI’s and nationally sanctioned shows both abroad and in the U.S., including WEG qualifiers, Nations Cup, Regional Games, U.S. National Championships, NAYRC, U.S. Developing and Young Horse Championships, and Regional Championships. This exposes her to some of the best combinations in the world and keeps her eye fresh, raising her riding and teaching standard.
She continues to produce successful students, some of whom have become trainers themselves. She is a “teacher of teachers”, traveling to give clinics to trainers and their own students.
Sandy has successfully trained young horses up to the FEI levels, and routinely competed on the East Coast, Florida Circuit and Dressage at Devon. She rode and trained extensively in Europe, which exposed her to a variety of training methods. She believes that horses can be brought to the highest of their ability using kind, consistent aids, without force.
Sandy has a true gift for teaching. She quickly identifies rider’s strengths and weaknesses, and develops a clear plan for their success. Her lessons are positive and creative, resulting in enlightened students who make visible progress. She excels in teaching correct basics, as well as producing and “fine-tuning” FEI-level riders. Sandy clearly enjoys her work, which is evident in her students and their horses.
Training and Competition Background (partial list)
- FEI 4* Judge
- United States Equestrian Federation “S” Judge
- Trained extensively in Germany with the late Herbert Rehbein, one of Germany’s most influential riding masters
- Trained extensively in Germany with Belgian riding master, Jan Nivelle
- Trained five seasons with Olympian, Robert Dover
- Received a scholarship to train with Diana Mukpo, one of the few women ever admitted as a student to the Spanish Riding School, Vienna, Austria
- Trained five years with Steve Kanikkeberg, Grand Prix winner at the Palm Beach Dressage Derby
- Trained in Florida with Debbie McDonald and Kathy Connelly during the 2012-2013 winter season
- Participated in numerous clinics, notably with the renowned Harry Boldt, Conrad Schmacher, Bo Jena, and Arthur Kottas of the Spanish Riding School
- Recipient of the 1998 Asmis/US Equestrian Team Scholarship to train and compete abroad
- Trained numerous horses to the FEI level
- Trained several young riders to the FEI level
- Prepared and coached students at NAYRC and U.S. National Junior Dressage Championships
- 1982-present: Won numerous USEF Qualifying classes for championships at first level through FEI levels, including Freestyle, all on self- trained horses.
- As a young rider qualified for and competed in -North American Young Riders Dressage Championships and U.S. National Dressage Championships
- Won USDF performance award at third level (1986)
- USDF National Reserve Champion at third level (1986)
- Competed successfully at shows including:
- CDI Devon-1997, 1992, 1990, 1989 (PA)
- Palm Beach Dressage Derby, Wellington Dressage, Orlando, Miami (FL)
- Eastern Regional Dressage Finals (VA), Long Island Dressage (NY) and many others